Sunday, November 04, 2007

Tricked or treated?


Halloween is my parent's anniversary. It seems like kind of a funny day to choose but the story (told by my father) goes like this (I know we have all heard it a thousand times but I think it is time it was written down): My mom invited my dad to a Halloween party at her Grandmother Whitney's house and thought it would be funny to dress up as a bride and groom. When they got to the party my dad realized that he had been TRICKED - it was really their wedding. He went to the back yard to contemplate running away but as he was standing by the pond, my grandpa (or is it Uncle Joe?) came out with a shot gun and a cement block and told him to get back inside and marry my mother. And, apparently, that was the beginning of their 36 years of marriage bliss. There are a few flaws in my father's story (for example why did his mother fly all the way from the Virgin Islands for a Halloween party?), but the truth is, no matter how it started, I have always admired my parents relationship. They are obviously still in love and happy and I am grateful for them - and all the work they put into their relationship and into our family. Here's to another fabulous year for them!
October 31, 1971 (picture curtesy of Ashley's blog)


Now with that said - I owe both my parents an apology because this year is the first year they have ever been apart on their anniversary. I think my dad took it kind of hard, but for my mom it was Halloween business as usual. She took Ian out to a Halloween party and then trick or treating for at least an hour and a half (he is barely 2 years old). He said "trick or treat" at every house and came home with his pumpkin full of candy as well as the entire trunk of his little push car. He loved every second of it - we are so lucky to have her here. (read the entire story of Ian's Halloween night on her blog).



No comments: